Featured Post

HeathcoteTech has moved!

HeathcoteTech has moved! Scarsdale students are now building blogs on the CampusPress platform. CampusPress is a managed service that uses...

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

2nd grade - The History of Typography

2nd Graders,

When we are typing we are entering our text using a particular font, or style of writing. But fonts aren't just fonts, they are "typography" or the art or technique of arranging type in order to make language visible.

Before computers there were typewriters and before that, handwriting. In order to make writing universally legible there needed to be typography.

Watch the video below and answer the questions as comments...



The History of Typography by Ben Barrett-Forrest from Dezeen on Vimeo.



The questions...

  • What did you learn about typography?
  • Do you remember any of the typography style names? Which was your favorite?
  • What did you think about the style of video?
  • Did you like the way the video looked and was animate?
  • If you saw this video last year, have any of your thoughts or opinions on typography changed? Did something new stand out to you?


Answer these questions in full and complete sentences as a comment below...

Remember - Comment as "Name/URL" and use your first name and last initial (proper capitalization, no URL)- please respond in full and complete sentences - double check your work before posting your comment.

40 comments:

  1. i liked the way how they made letters. it was awesome. i liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that typography started with one font. My favorite font was Modern. I thought the video was with good animation. If I watched this video a long time ago, I would not have understood it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite typography was gill sans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was cool. I really liked it. It was a little funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned that typography stated in the 15th century. Two of the styles is roman and black letter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the style they use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did not know that typography mint that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Typography started in the 15th centry

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learnd that Yohanes Goodenberg was the creater of typogref.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite typeface was Modern because I liked the thin serifs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorit typography is Yohanis gootenbirg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotenbearg mead blackletter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my favorite typography was gill sans because they did not have serif

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learned that roman style when it printed it looked black

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of them was Black letter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If i watched that video a long time ago i would have not understand it at all. my favorite font is blackletters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I learned that there were words like old style. Well it was really cool. I really
    liked how they wrote the words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I learned that typography started with one typeface that was called Blackletter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the style of he video was based on typography

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I rember the tip of writing blackleter

    ReplyDelete
  22. If I did not watch the video I would not know the History of Typography

    ReplyDelete
  23. i thaut it was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I learned that there are tons of different types of type faces.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought the video had a good style because it was not very complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the way itailics are.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I learned all about different kinds of letters

    ReplyDelete
  28. My favorite typeface is geometric sans.

    ReplyDelete
  29. the animation of the video was different typography

    ReplyDelete
  30. I leaned that typography started in 15th century. Roman Type, Black type, Modern type and my favorite is Modern Type.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I never new typography was a word.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I lirnd that thare are so many taps of typography.

    ReplyDelete
  33. typography is different fontfs

    ReplyDelete
  34. I liked how his hand moved and the words moved.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I Iearned about typography roman letter the were made in late 1860.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The different type faces were really cool because they did have serifs or they didn't have serifs

    ReplyDelete
  37. I liked the way this video was animate:D

    ReplyDelete
  38. My favrote type face is Elsomone Gootebergs type face the black letter.

    ReplyDelete
  39. My other favorite typography was black letter because they had a lot of lines and serifs and the letters looked really cool and I wonder how he thought of that typeface

    ReplyDelete