Featured Post

HeathcoteTech has moved!

HeathcoteTech has moved! Scarsdale students are now building blogs on the CampusPress platform. CampusPress is a managed service that uses...

Thursday, January 7, 2016

3rd Grade Information Books 2016 - Mrs. Mangan

This post is a work in progress as students finish & tweak their animated books

The following items are animated books created using Google Slides with Ms. Mangan's class:

The third graders created Information Books as a part of our non-fiction reading and writing units.  They started with an "expert" topic, one they already knew a lot about. This topic required little to no research, simply background knowledge.  After the students chose a topic they began developing chapter ideas, elaborating on those ideas and accompanying them with non-fiction text features. The kids worked on several drafts making edits and revisions. Each chapter was placed in a logical order, for some students paragraphs were developed and for all students the writing was organized with topic sentences and supporting details. 


Next came the publishing portion of the project. With support from Mr. Casal, the students used Google Presentation to create slides to display their information. This was a wonderful learning experience. Everything from typing text to inserting photographs to creating transitions was taught and then put to practice.  In the end the third graders created a comprehensive non-fiction information book that can be enjoyed for years to come and across the globe because of its final form, Google Presentation. - @LindsayCMangan


The books...

(student projects listed alphabetically by first name)

Aidan


Alex


Ally


Audrey


Barbara



Caitlyn


Chase


Christopher


Gabby


Giana



Jaden


Kate


Karine


Kevin


Leila


Lexi


Marcello


Nate



William


more to come...

57 comments:

  1. Alex, I like your introduction - Gabi to Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. William,next time tell us whats a qb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I love your book but I think your slides move on click

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if you are right leila but thank you for comment .

      Delete
    2. I love your slide Lexi! It has great pictures.

      Delete
  4. Nate, I thought that your slide show was really inspiring and now I feel like an official basketball player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really know what " move your arms like a rainbow means" Kate, but I think the rest is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I just fixed that.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for changing it! Kate.

      Delete
    3. You should do each slide the same transition, Marcello.

      Delete
    4. Thanks but I like it the way it is.

      Delete
  6. your images are tremendous! - to kevin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nate I like your picture of Lebron James.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ally, you'er book is great but you wrote something twice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are strays Gabi?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate I like how you put little details in your book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris how do you make sticks

    -Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. leila, I like the pictures of the cats

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jaden I really like the words in the 7th slide!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aidan, I think you should change how you said''you never want flat fingers in the piano, '' I think you should say''you never want flat fingers on your piano.''

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you should tell us how to get wood before we go mining because how will I craft a pickaxe if I don't wood? It doesn't come out of nowhere, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gabi, your book was amazing you taught me so much about dolphins and what they eat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alex, I like your book but you have a link that brings you back but I like the rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is to bring you back to the table of contents

      Delete
    2. That is to bring you back to the Table of Contents

      Delete
  18. Christopher, on the second chapter it's suppose to be sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. William, I think your book is great but on slide 10 you said Breat Fave gets on the hall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jaden, what do you mean by''and what tier they are in you will also learn about wood.''

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I mean the value of the ore. Ok?

      Delete
  21. Audrey, amazing book love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your book was really good Gabi, but I don't know what you mean by ''so cut the eating and start reading."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Audrey, I loved your lead and your introduction but there isn't always 4 beats in a measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually for starters there are 4 beats in a measure.

      Delete
  24. Your pictures are amazing Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your pictures chase!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Alex, in your Glossary underwater is a compound word.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Caitlyn, II think maybe you should explain what pedals are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giana I just changed that.

      Delete
  28. Chase, is their supposed to be an arrow pointing to an f.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lexi I never new that there could be bumps on the bottom of a dance shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Audrey I loved your lead and introduction but there isn't always 4 beats in a measure.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Leila
    I love your picters

    ReplyDelete
  32. Chase there are 2 chapter 1s.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Alex , I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Karine I love all the pictures of people doing stunts on a mat.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jaden obsidian is not an ore

    ReplyDelete
  36. It has been such a treat to go through the presentations. I am very impressed with the quality and creativity of the children's work. What a wonderful class of students!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jaden, you should change ''now you need sticks chop down some trees'' into now you need sticks ''to'' chop down trees.

    ReplyDelete